Getting you appointed

If a family member loses their ability to deal with their financial affairs themselves, and is unable to make a Power of Attorney then somebody may need to apply to the Court of Protection to be appointed as Deputy to deal with that person’s financial affairs. A Deputy, once appointed, is given the power by the Court to take control of the vulnerable person’s financial affairs, and use their money and assets to pay that persons bills and make all arrangements needed on an ongoing basis. All of this is carried out under the ongoing supervision of the Court of Protection and you are required to keep accounts and prepare a detailed breakdown of your activities as Deputy on an annual basis.

This is an incredibly complex area of law and the procedure to get appointed is regrettably rather drawn out – it can take many months to be appointed – but here at MKB we can fully advise and assist you with this process.