Social Services Involvement (Public Law)

When Social Services are Involved

Public Law

If you are involved with Social Services or receive letters from the Legal Department of the Local Authority in respect of your children, these are public law proceedings.   If the Local Authority issues an application for a care or supervision Order and you have parental responsibility for the child you are automatically entitled to free non means tested Legal Aid.   These are highly specialised and complex proceedings.  You should ensure that the solicitor you engage to represent you in respect of your children is a member of the Law Society Children Panel.   If you do not have parental responsibility, for example if you are a grandparent caring for a child or non biological carer/relative, Legal Aid may still be available and we are happy to discuss this with you or provide a cost estimate/fixed fee quotation.