Funding & Payment Options

Legal Expenses Insurance

When you take out or renew your car or house insurance, once you have filed away the paperwork, you do not want to look at it again as this usually means a claim is being made.

When you have an accident your car insurance (for motor claims) and house insurance (for other types of accidents) may provide cover for your legal expenses to make a claim against whoever you believe is to blame for your accident.

Often this type of insurance is a free add-on or available as a low premium.

If you do need to check your policy for legal expenses cover it may suggest that you have to use lawyers chosen by the insurers, this is not necessarily the case.

At MKB Solicitors we believe that people who need legal advice after an accident or in any other situation where cover might be available, for example, employment issues or boundary disputes, have the right to choose their own lawyer.

Regulations dealing with this type of insurance provides for freedom of choice of legal representation throughout the process and a recent court case has confirmed this view – unfortunately, insurers often challenge that view.

One of the reasons why insurers want to use their own lawyers (known as panel solicitors) is that those solicitors often pay a fee to those insurers for each case taken on, although the rules have changed from April 2013 to prevent such payments.

MKB Solicitors can advise on your funding options including legal expenses cover.

Even if your own insurers, when first contacted, insist on using their own panel solicitors, we may be able to persuade them otherwise.  It is often important and beneficial for you to have local solicitors acting who you can meet and instruct properly, rather than the insurers’ own solicitors who may be in a different part of the country and whom you can only speak to on the telephone.

We would be happy to discuss all your funding options at a free initial meeting to discuss your potential claim.